Music, Innovation & Hacking!
After an awesome crowd of hackers and amazing results in the last 2 years, the Waves Vienna Music Hackday goes into its third round! This year’s Waves Music Hackday will again be held in the museum rooms (1st floor) at the WUK Vienna which is also the main venue of the Waves festival.
Whether you are a creative person, musician, artist, technologically interested person, hacker, developer, thinker or hobbyist – join this hackday and meet other creative people to spin your ideas around the future of music & technology!
The spirit of the Waves Music Hackday is to get your heads together in teams to create new ideas around music – and build them at the same day! What you create is quite open – anything goes, as long as it is related to music!
What to hack? A few examples:
- create that new music app that you always wanted to have
- make a platform, tool or device to bring together artists and fans
- work on a tool to support musicians or musical performances
- realize an engaging tool for audience interaction at live concerts
- build on existing software tools and APIs, combine & remix them to create something bigger
- combine software with hardware, hack those Arduinos, Raspberrys and Sonic Pi’s
- build a new instrument
- make wearable audible fashion
- or simply create something mind-blowing that the world has never seen before 😉
We will provide a set of software and hardware tools to hack with, but feel free to bring your own tools and ideas. Special themes and challenges suggested by our sponsors and partners will be announced a few weeks before the hackathon.
Video of Waves Music Hackday 2016 by MOD Devices.
The Hackday is free, but registration is mandatory. We recommend to register as early as possible, as places are limited.
The Waves Vienna Music Hackday will start Friday 18:00 with API and Tool presentations followed by building the teams. You may already start hacking Friday evening, but there will be no overnight hacking possibility at our hackathon. The Hackday continues Saturday 9:00 in the morning and ends with presentations and awards at 21:00 Saturday evening.
Friday, 29th September 2017:
• 17:30 Arrival of Hackday participants at the venue: WUK Vienna
Saturday, 30th September 2017:
These are the Waves Hackday 2017 Challenges:
- Best hack using body signals (Bitalino)
- Internet of Emotions Hack (Musimap)
- MusicBash Challenge (Universal Music)
- Handsfree Music Selection* (Autohaus Berger)
- Best hack on music creation or performance* (Native Instruments)
- Best hardware hack* (Modal Electronics, HappyLab)
*Note that these challenges are “open challenges” not bound to using a particular tool or API.
See you at the Waves Vienna Music Hackday 2017!
Tool Providers and Supporters
Big thanks goes to our Tool & API Providers and Supporters.