Music, Innovation & Hacking!
In the spirit of the previous years there will also be a Hackday as part of this year’s Waves Vienna.
Whether you are a creative person, musician, artist, technologically interested person, hacker, developer, thinker or hobbyist – join this hackday and meet other creative people to spin your ideas around the future of music & technology!
The spirit of the Waves Vienna Music Hackday is to get your heads together in teams to create new ideas around music – and to turn them into reality within one day at Waves Vienna! Only your imagination is the limit – anything goes, as long as it is related to music!
This year we will also have a special “Under 18” track for adolescents and kids with fun projects and challenges to hack around with music and technology. No prior knowledge or special skills are needed to participate in this special track.
What to hack? A few examples:
- create that new music app that you always wanted to have
- make a platform, tool or device to bring together artists and fans
- work on a tool to support musicians or musical performances
- realize an engaging tool for audience interaction at live concerts
- build on existing software tools and APIs, combine & remix them to create something bigger
- combine software with hardware, hack those Arduinos, Raspberrys and Sonic Pi’s
- build a new instrument
- make wearable audible fashion
- or simply create something mind-blowing that the world has never seen before 😉
We will provide a set of software and hardware tools to hack with, but feel free to bring your own tools and ideas. Special themes and challenges suggested by our sponsors and partners will be announced a few weeks before the hackathon.
The Hackday is free. That said, we are limited in space and staff which makes application mandatory. We recommend to apply as early as possible.
Application deadline is August 15th.
The Waves Vienna Music Hackday will start Friday 18:00 with API and Tool presentations followed by building the teams. You may already start hacking Friday evening, but there will be no overnight hacking possibility at our hackathon. The Hackday continues Saturday 9:00 in the morning and ends with presentations and awards at 21:00 Saturday evening.
Friday, 28th September 2018:
• 17:30 Arrival of Hackday participants at the venue: WUK Vienna
• 18:00 – 19:00 Presentation of Tools, APIs and Challenge
• 19:00 – 19:30 Idea Pitching and Team Building
• 19:30 – 20:00 Hackathon Kick-off: hacking starts!
Saturday, 29th September 2018:
• 09:00 Arrival
• 09:30 – 17:30 Hacking
• 18:00 – 19:30 Hack Presentations and Awards
Challanges for 2018 are soon to be announced.
These were the Waves Vienna Hackday 2017 Challenges:
- Best hack using body signals (Bitalino)
- Internet of Emotions Hack (Musimap)
- MusicBash Challenge (Universal Music)
- Handsfree Music Selection* (Autohaus Berger)
- Best hack on music creation or performance (Native Instruments)
- Best hardware hack* (Modal Electronics, HappyLab)
See you at the Waves Vienna Music Hackday 2018!