Waves Music Hackday 2020
Music, Innovation & Hacking!
In the spirit of the previous years there will also be a Hackday as part of this year’s Waves Vienna.
Whether you are a creative person, musician, artist, technologically interested person, hacker, developer, thinker or hobbyist – join this hackday and meet other creative people to spin your ideas around the future of music & technology!
The spirit of the Waves Vienna Music Hackday is to get your heads together in teams to create new ideas around music – and to turn them into reality within one day at Waves Vienna! Only your imagination is the limit – anything goes, as long as it is related to music!
2020 will be special in two ways:
- This year you can participate online and offline. Offline means participants are “physically” at the University of Vienna. Online means, that you can join the Hackday online if you are not able to travel to Vienna but still want to participate. We will do our best that online as well as offline participants will have an equally exciting hackday experience!
- This year the Hackday is also part of the “Music Participation Days” organised by the University of Vienna in cooperation with Waves Vienna and other institutions. Please visit www.musicparticipation.com for further information and events.
What to hack? A few examples:
- create that new music app that you always wanted to have
- make a platform, tool or device to bring together artists and fans
- work on a tool to support musicians or musical performances
- realize an engaging tool for audience interaction at live concerts
- build on existing software tools and APIs, combine & remix them to create something bigger
- combine software with hardware, hack those Arduinos, Raspberrys and Sonic Pi’s
- build a new instrument
- make wearable audible fashion
- or simply create something mind-blowing that the world has never seen before 😉
We will provide a set of software and hardware tools to hack with, but feel free to bring your own tools and ideas. Special themes and challenges suggested by our sponsors and partners will be announced a few weeks before the hackathon.
Let’s celebrate the 5th Anniversary
This year, the Waves Vienna Hackday celebrates its 5th anniversary! Since 2015 every year approximately 100 participants attend the Waves Vienna Hackday and make it a huge success. In 2017 an astounding number of 17 teams completed amazing hacks within the 10 hour time limit and in 2018 we had a special track for children and kids. Only in 2019 there was no Hackday for organisational reasons and we are glad the Waves Music Hackday is now back to celebrate its 5th anniversary!
The Hackday is free. That said, this year we are highly limited in physical space and staff which makes registration mandatory. We recommend to apply as early as possible. However, there are no spacial restrictions for online participants.
Please only register for “offline participation” when you really want and are able to come to Vienna. If there are more offline registrations than spaces available, we will run a lottery who will be able to join us in Vienna. However, everybody can still participate online!
Registration deadline is Monday, 7th September 2020, 12:00 a.m..
The Waves Vienna Music Hackday will start Friday, 11.09.2020, 18:00 with API and Tool presentations followed by building the teams. You may already start hacking Friday evening, but overnight hacking is only possible for online participants. The Hackday continues Saturday, 12.09.2020, 9:00 in the morning and ends with presentations, a concert and awards at 21:00 Saturday evening.
• 17:30 Arrival of hackday participants at the venue Universität Wien, Währingerstraße 29 and streaming starts with an introduction for online participants
• 18:00 – 19:00 Presentation of tools, APIs and challenges by the hackday organisers & sponsors
• 19:00 – 20:00 Idea pitching and team building by the participants
Saturday, 12th September 2020:
• 09:00 Arrival at the Uni Wien W29 and streaming starts
• 09:30 – 17:30 Hacking
• 18:30 – 19:00 Live concert and awards
Challenges for 2020 are soon to be announced.
This is a selection of past Waves Vienna Hackdays challenges:
- Best hack using body signals (Bitalino)
- Internet of Emotions Hack (Musimap)
- MusicBash Challenge (Universal Music)
- Handsfree Music Selection (Autohaus Berger)
- Best hack on music creation or performance (Native Instruments)
- Best hardware hack (Modal Electronics, HappyLab)
See you at the Waves Vienna Music Hackday 2020 and let’s celebrate our 5th anniversary together!